Tuesday, September 30, 2008

I'm Kooky.....Or So They Say....

Yesterday my husband said I was kooky.

Not the first time I've heard it. (gasp!)

Not that I get it ALL the time...but I've heard it enough that I am always prepared to laugh and make a comment or do some wacky body movement and say, "WHATEVER are you referring to?!"...ha ha ha.....

I've always thought people just said that because they had nothing else really to say...I mean, I'm kooky in that, when someone says, "How are you?" I say, "faboo!". BUT only because I don't want to say, "I'm very well, and you?" (because to me that sounds gaggy pretentious ... to say "well"...instead of "good" that is, eventhough the "well" answer is proper English...it just sounds so...... hi, I think I'm quite remarkable, not to mention handsome and successful)

.....So I just by-pass the whole "well" vs. "good" bit all together, and say, "I'm faboo"... or something similar. Which I guess can sound rather "quote un-quote" kooky... but it's not because I want attention, or for someone to be like, oh my gosh! Did you just say "faboo"?
That's crazy!

It's more so I don't sound like an ass.....or to put the other person at ease, and because I don't want them to think I think I'm something ....Which REALLY, who is going to think I think I'm "something" just because I answer a question with "well"... but that's how my mind works. I'm not going to deny it.

Nontheless, this whole, I don't want someone to think I think I'm special or important is a running theme in my life.

If I say something intellectual or a "big word" like "quarantine" or "conquistador" or "magnitude" or "litigate" or if I have a brilliant idea or answer in a meeting, or if I suddenly come up with some terrific advice for a friend, I immediately need to off-set it with something funny or self-effacing?

Or is it self-defacing?

And how in the hell do you spell it?

...moving on....

So, then I become known for my humor or "kookiness" or, in Jamie's words, "Bub, you're just...over the top." Which, in my mind, makes it sound like I wear mis-matched clothes, pig tales, and am trying to grow a handlebar mustache, that I'm always doing magic tricks for strangers and have some big affinity for custard that I must share with everyone.

And all of this because, really.... I'm just trying to set everyone else at ease, or kick up a little fun.

So I asked Jamie, what, please, makes me so kooky?

What makes me so much more .... whatever ... than everyone else?
And he said...

A) When you dance in the bathroom in your underware.

Big fat deal. Oh, like Cameron Diaz can do it, but I can't? True...her fanny (as my grandma would say) does look quite a bit better in her under-roos than mine does, but does that automatically make her sexy or cute, and me kooky?

I guess it does.

B) The fact that you had your screen name on My Space as, "Oo-lala".

Well I changed it to something nice and normal, didn't I?

C) When you jumped out and waved all stupid to my mom and Gordon at the airport.

Lame example. I wanted them to know we were excited to see them!? That's just having good manners.

It's not like I dress up as Elvis and go to the grocery store or cook wild squirrel with a lovely clam sauce for dinner. It's not as if I don't know how to dress appropriately for church, or when to shush it in a public place ... ok ... minus Julie's graduation when I got the "ssshhhhhh" 3 times.....But please....It had been 3 hours. I was getting b-o-r-e-d.....I mean....she was in the "W" section at the very end!

I'm sticking to my guns.

I am not all that kooky.

I'm not even a free spirit really.....I am simply a young professional, trying to liven things up a bit.

What's wrong with a good laugh at my expense?

What's wrong with a little enthusiasm or eating left over Indian food in the morning?

Is it really all that horrible? Am I really all that over the top?

I say nay.

Nay I say.

On that note, I'm off to see if I can't buy a huge Oak to put in our back yard as I'm hoping to build a tree house next wknd with a fireman's pole and everything!

(Enter loud swelling music...and imagine me turning on my heels with my wonder woman cape flowing behine me as I march off in defiance!)

No comments: